The Grey Nuns founded D'Youville in 1908 and named it for their patron Saint Marie-Marguerite d'Youville.
It was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women.
That first semester, nine women enrolled in the school's liberal arts courses. Their classes were held in a four-story red brick academy. Today, it's known as Koessler Administration Building, the core building of D'Youville.
D'Youville's first nine students would not recognize their Alma Mater today. But they would no doubt be proud that D'Youville has thrived and become a leader in higher education.